Because of laziness, I’ll just use a highly personal letter that I’ve written, first in April of 2016, then revised in May of last year, to do this project. It is called “TY letter to God” because without God, I would not be the person that I am today.
Dear God Here are the things (I can name off top of my head) that I’m thankful that you have given me.
1. Life. I’m thankful that you blessed me to become a human on this Earth. My mom gave birth to me on June 2 of 1997, and I am thankful for your gift of life.
2. Spirituality. I am so glad to have found you and turned to you for a savior.
3. Love. Thank you for granting me all forms of love.
4. Upbringing. If not a rough upbringing, I would have taken every single relationship in my life for granted.
5. Family. I’m thankful that you blessed me with members of my family. If not my grandma, grandpa, aunt, uncles, dad and mom, how could I have lived up to this day?! If not a bipolar but loving dad, if not an indifferent but wealthy and loving? mother, if not family members who don’t necessarily know how to be family members, how could I have come to know whom not to be?! How could I have come to know what not to be?!
6. Race. I’m actually thankful to be a part of the Asian minority group. If I was white, how the heck would I be able to empathize with or even think about social justice?!
7. Language Background. I’m thankful that I was raised in a bilingual environment. It is extremely useful to know >= 2 languages, and I’m so glad that my most proficient ones are Chinese and English. I know that knowing both languages will open endless doors of opportunities for me.
8. Environmental Background. I’m so glad to have been raised in both Shanghai and America. I have absorbed the essence of both places and strive to become a better person as each day goes by. I know both the Chinese and American parts of me will come into play one day, and all that will bring me is benefits.
9. Friendships. I’m thankful, for I have come to acquaint and befriend many people of various backgrounds. There is so much to learn from each person, and I am growing as each day passes by.
10. Mental Health. I am gratified that I have gone through many psychological challenges, whether depression or anxiety. Having been a victim of depression and being a sufferer of anxiety have taught me to treasure my life.
11. Physical Health. I am so glad I had bone through the ICU experience, 180 bpm heart rate, the brain damage and Graves’ Disease. Those illnesses, in a way, is partially due to my lack of care for myself. I now striving to eat a balanced diet, to exercise regularly and to be well rested. I aim to be healthy. 12.
Education. I am thankful, for I have successfully completed high school and now attend one of the most prestigious schools- the University of Michigan – in the world. How lucky am I to have been admitted to the LSA Honors program?! How thankful I am for what you had in store for me?! With formal education, I can have a pleasant career to support both my goals and my financial well-being.
13. Relationships: I’m thankful that you have set Tyler to be a part of my life. Before meeting, knowing and liking him, I was, quite frankly, scared of relationships and all that boyfriend girlfriend, “love” stuff, but somehow, I came to an agreement to be dating him. This is a major step forward for me. Tyler is a faithful believer of yours, and I have already learnt and grown so much from the very first day of our acquaintance. I’m scared of the future but can visualize one with him?! Wow, that’s a first. I know, for sure, he’ll teach me how to love. Thanks for putting Tyler in my life. I want to keep him, and I will do so.
** The older version that I first drafted said something along the lines of “I’m so thankful to have met and known a wonderful guy like Tyler. Although i certainly have feelings for him, I am not desperate over his attention. Even if he is meant to be merely a friend, he makes a great friend. Thank you so much for Tyler and the joy he has brought to me, i hope to keep him and I hopefully will!
Dear God, I love your unconditional and endless and ongoing love, and I hope to give that kind of love to everyone, whether he/she appreciates it or not.